Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Road kill


We’ve all seen it.  A squirrel or deer laying in or beside the roadway.  A senseless tragedy of epic proportions...at least in their specific existence – or at this point...lack of existence.

Have you ever been the one who actually caused the eminent death of such an animal – unavoidably striking it as it ran haphazardly beneath your screeching tires?  Your last minute gasp as that poor thing, merely attempting to go about it’s furry day, makes that critical mistake to cross the roadway in which you just happen to be traveling down.

I have unfortunately...several times.  Raccoons, squirrels, a turtle, four deer...I even clipped a dog once that was chasing a squirrel across a busy street.  Every time...gasping - the moment that poor woodland creature confusingly darted into my busy pathway.  My face wrinkles itself into a grimace and I sometimes even screech – like it just might hear me and run to safety.

I sometimes feel like one of those innocent animals...just trying to make it thru my day.  To survive.  To go where I need to go, survive one day at a time.  Sometimes I feel like I’m running inadvertently into someone’s path with no understanding of that thoroughfare being one that just may cause my ultimate demise.  People sometimes make the effort - swerving to miss me.  Sometimes people do not even notice me.  Sometimes people are heard screeching just in time for me to do a quick 180 to get myself to a safer place.  Sometimes people tip the wheel in my direction...purposely.  Whether to simply kill me, maim me...or devour the flesh that may be had pending the death in itself.  The ultimate issue is one that we all may face at one time or another.

Whether rodent or majestic deer...the fact that there is someone who may be interested in feasting on said animal’s flesh – may be disturbing to some.  To others...possible survival.

My family was raised on wildlife.  My father was an avid hunter/fisherman.  We’ve eaten squirrel, rabbit, snake, deer, elk, buffalo, moose, alligator, turkey, duck, and all sorts of fish.  Deer was always one of my favorite.  The meat is lean, and healthy.  If processed correctly, and cooked well...it tastes so much better than beef!  When my dad would come home with a deer, we would all join in to help cut and grind and package the deer and place it proudly in our freezer for a good couple months worth of meals.

My brothers often went hunting with my dad.  I was never welcomed...simply being female...I was expected to do girl stuff I suppose.  My brothers each got a shotgun when they turned 14.  Me...no.  Even as my girls turned 14...each of them got their shotgun from my dad.  Me...still...no.  I always would target shoot...all growing up – from a wee young age.  I could shoot and kill any tin can they put in front of me...or even from 50+ feet away!  Shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers, bow and arrows...I became very efficient!  This served me well as I got into law enforcement.  Throughout my training in the police academy and sequential yearly re-qualifications...I could out-shoot the majority of my male counterparts.

Working in law enforcement, I often had the job of shooting and/or calling someone to pick up a roadkill deer.  As long as the deer wasn’t too busted up...there was ample meat that was completely and absolutely edible.  I was able to acquire a couple of these said deer over the years.  Freshly struck...having to be shot due to broken legs or back etc...the meat was fresh, and I definitely had the experience of processing it.  I even took and processed two of the deer I personally hit myself.  I figured...they ruined my vehicle – I was going to get mine! So on our dining room table the backstraps would grace our presences accompanied by some fresh vegetables from our garden or from our freezer stored harvest that very night.  Being a single mother, I wasn’t going to turn down free meat...jeesh!  I liked the fact that I could even do the work to package it myself.

The whole process may be gruesome...as death in any manner may be to some.  My Native American Heritage has taught me to utilize all of nature’s bounty.  To be thankful for what has been put before us.  Whether I shot the deer with a gun, arrow or vehicle...that animal should not die for nothing.  I can partake of the nutrition it may give my body, tan the hide for use in clothing and/or purses, shoes, or pouches/bags, even shoes.  I’ve also used bones as jewelry and beads as well as tools.

The same concept goes for my finances.  When I have plenty...or struggle for every penny.  I want to be a good steward.  With my time – whether on vacation or  at work. I wish to be a good steward.  With my relationships – regarding friends and even my enemies.  I want to serve as a good steward.  I make the most out of each of these things  the way I think Christ would have me to do.

I try not to be wasteful of anything that I can help.  Even roadkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment